Sunday, November 26, 2006

Front Loaded

Been quite a while since I posted and I'm going to make sure that doesn't occur during my winter break from school.

Now, I do have a list of links, pictures, and general statements that I could slowly trickle out during my break so that I could have something to ramble about all the time. Though, if you know me--this method never works (El Dave nods his head knowingly).

So I am going to come out swinging. With such a large post that I hope that I will continuely be scrambling for content and drawings. To make sure that each following post does not feel stark and insubstantial.

Let's start out with the simple links.
Someone PLEASE buy me this. I will make love to the soles of your feet if you do.

Sexy fun drawings here.

This link isn't as nesscary, but it's nice to see stop motion animation (or at least a good mimicing of) being used. Even in this world of Computer Graphics everything (which isn't too bad since I do want that as a career... but still.)

The next video you will want someone with you. Not because it's super scary or anything along those lines. It's such a bizarre piece that you'll want someone to talk to change the subject immediately after you get done watching it. Trae has seen it, and he knows exactly what I'm talking about.

To video game discussions!
Finally, I was able to get a Wii this Thanksgiving weekend and its quite a bit of fun. It may suffer from the initial year of the DS, where games are hard to find or ports (I don't count as Virtual Console, since I feel a system must stand on what makes it unique). Though my 360 has still seen more playtime this weekend, the Wii has been a very satifying purchase. The biggest draw to me getting the system lies entirely with the draw to one game. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Now, generally when I speak about diffrent games I will try to measure it against games of the past (if it's a series) or related games of the genre. Please understand that I am very serious and it took a great deal of time before I was going to make this statement. The petigree of one of the finest adventure games on any system. I will also feverently defend this claim.

Twilight Princess is the best Zelda yet.

Gears of War has produced one of the most polished games I have ever come across and it is well worth taking time and effort to play. Generally all my complaints are completely forgivable because of how well tuned the multiplayer and co-op levels are organized. I love this game. It has been everything I wanted to be and much much more. I bring it up not because I'm trying to draw a pissing contest between the two, rather--I find it extremely rare when two games which I absolutely love come out very close to each other. Exteremely satified but extremely poor.

I went into Twilight Princess with a very jaded and hard approach, as I do with almost everything (if it is worth is, it can withstand negativity). The graphics are ho-hum (compress the textures and use mip-maps! The technology is there and it's been around forever!) and way to slut out the bloom effect guys. The sound is decent (as the only understandable word I can recall at the moment is "HEY!"). Controls aren't that precise at times ("Hey... I'll jump over there... no not that way!"). And who the fuck thought that Link's run animation with weapon sheathed was okay to be finalized?!)

But... the fantastic story, the great characters, the rediculously good art direction, the level designs, the bosses, etc. It's simply fun and reminds me why I love video games with every section.
Please check out this video (50 minutes) of the history of the Zelda series here. Actually the most intresting point is at 38 minutes in, they discuss how all the games fit in a single continuity. I think it's intresting, even to non-gamers.

Drawin'!
Zangief, Colossus, Ivan Drago, everyone from Red Star. Characters from Russia are inheriently cool. This is a combination of that love and the love of giant robots.


Most stories that I can think of... the evil cultists are always super lanky and numerous? Why can't they have one or two super powerful champions and the good guys should rely on numbers and teamwork?


I have Elf Lust. This should come to no suprise to anyone who knows me. What always got me was that Elves (our current generations' perception of Elves rather) were beautiful but always sharper and more elegantly formed humans. So what I tried to draw here was a elegantly shaped Humanoid but with generally non-beautiful traits. A large and bulbous head. Extremely long arms that disproportion out the legs and large feet. Not sure if it worked or not, but it was a fun drawing.

No comments: